Researchers map in detail Ganymede, largest moon in the solar system
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: The US Geological Survey has completed the first global geological map of Ganymede, Jupiter`s largest moon and also the largest moon in the solar system.
The first global geologic map of Ganymede has been produced almost 400 years after Galileo discovered it.
The map published by the US Geological Survey, provides in detail the multifaceted geologic character of Ganymede`s surface. It is interesting to note that Ganymede has a diameter of 3,280 miles (5,262 kilometers). Also, it is the only satellite in the solar system known to have its own magnetosphere.
Since its discovery in January 1610, Ganymede has been the focus of repeated observation, first by Earth-based telescopes, and later by flyby missions and spacecraft orbiting Jupiter .
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kerala polls: Time ripe for BJP to open account in the state, says Rajiv Pratap Rudy
- TMC will be wiped out after poll results: Congress
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kings XI Punjab's Axar Patel claims first hat-trick of ninth edition
- Petrol prices in major Indian cities after latest hike!
- IPL 2016: Axar Patel's four-wicket haul guides Kings XI Punjab to 23-run win over table-toppers Gujarat Lions