Researchers map in detail Ganymede, largest moon in the solar system
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: The US Geological Survey has completed the first global geological map of Ganymede, Jupiter`s largest moon and also the largest moon in the solar system.
The first global geologic map of Ganymede has been produced almost 400 years after Galileo discovered it.
The map published by the US Geological Survey, provides in detail the multifaceted geologic character of Ganymede`s surface. It is interesting to note that Ganymede has a diameter of 3,280 miles (5,262 kilometers). Also, it is the only satellite in the solar system known to have its own magnetosphere.
Since its discovery in January 1610, Ganymede has been the focus of repeated observation, first by Earth-based telescopes, and later by flyby missions and spacecraft orbiting Jupiter .
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Turkish PM says first signs in Istanbul attack point to IS
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates