Researchers map in detail Ganymede, largest moon in the solar system
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: The US Geological Survey has completed the first global geological map of Ganymede, Jupiter`s largest moon and also the largest moon in the solar system.
The first global geologic map of Ganymede has been produced almost 400 years after Galileo discovered it.
The map published by the US Geological Survey, provides in detail the multifaceted geologic character of Ganymede`s surface. It is interesting to note that Ganymede has a diameter of 3,280 miles (5,262 kilometers). Also, it is the only satellite in the solar system known to have its own magnetosphere.
Since its discovery in January 1610, Ganymede has been the focus of repeated observation, first by Earth-based telescopes, and later by flyby missions and spacecraft orbiting Jupiter .
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?