Return journey from Mars may be possible in future
Sydney: A return journey to Mars may be possible in future - thanks to a new scheme.
According to Mars One, an organisation that has been calling for applicants to make such a journey in 10 years` time, more than 150,000 people would be willing to make the one-way trip.
But one of the biggest barriers to visiting Mars is that it`s not getting there that`s hard, it`s coming back.
Humans could have visited Mars or Venus in the `70s or `80s using variations of the Apollo spacecraft that went to the Moon. The catch was that they couldn`t land.
Mars Direct, is a scheme championed by US engineer Robert Zubrin, which pulls a cunning trick proposing to sending two spacecraft to land on Mars, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
The spacecraft the astronauts will fly home in goes first, empty and unfuelled.
Once it lands it automatically converts chemicals in the Martian atmosphere into rocket fuel that will power its ascent from the surface and voyage back to Earth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?