Rocky alien planets may contain oceans
Washington: All rocky planets develop liquid-water oceans shortly after forming, suggesting that alien worlds potentially teeming with life may be common throughout the Universe, a new study has found.
Computer models and Earth`s own history suggest such seas should splash around soon after these worlds` surfaces have cooled down and solidified, according to Lindy Elkins-Tanton of the Carnegie Institution for Science.
"Habitability is going to be much more common than we had previously thought," Elkins-Tanton said.
Analysis of ancient Earth rocks shows that the planet hosted an ocean of liquid water at least 4.4 billion years ago, Elkins-Tanton said.
She said this water came primarily from the planetesimals that formed Earth long ago rather than from comet impacts, as some researchers had previously believed, `SPACE.Com` reported.
While comet-delivered water probably made a contribution later on, "it`s not required," Elkins-Tanton said.
"You can make a water ocean without it," she added.
For instance, even if the pieces that built Earth contained just 0.01 per cent water by weight - an extremely conservative estimate - our planet still would have harboured an early global ocean hundreds of meters deep, she said.
Elkins-Tanton said such primitive oceans form in a multistep process. Water first boils out of the molten rock covering a newborn terrestrial planet heated up by accretionary impacts, creating a steamy atmosphere.
This atmosphere then collapses as the planet cools, returning the water to the surface and generating an ocean.
"The ramifications of this are that, in any exoplanet system anywhere in our universe, if it`s made of rocky materials with similar water contents to ours, every rocky planet would be expected to start with a water ocean," Elkins-Tanton said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark