Roscosmos to join NASA in asteroid capture mission
Moscow: Russia`s space agency Roscosmos may join NASA`s ambitious mission to capture an asteroid and place it in high lunar orbit for exploration, its head Vladimir Popovkin said.
"[It is] a very interesting project, which NASA proposes to carry out jointly with Roscosmos specialists," Popovkin told Rossiiskaya Gazeta newspaper.
"We could send a manned expedition to explore the asteroid or study it with probes," he said.
The asteroid-retrieval mission was first proposed last year by the Keck Institute for Space Studies at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.
The project envisions capturing a 25-foot wide asteroid, weighing approximately 500 metric tonnes, in a giant draw-string bag and towing it to the Moon orbit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy