Roscosmos to join NASA in asteroid capture mission
Moscow: Russia`s space agency Roscosmos may join NASA`s ambitious mission to capture an asteroid and place it in high lunar orbit for exploration, its head Vladimir Popovkin said.
"[It is] a very interesting project, which NASA proposes to carry out jointly with Roscosmos specialists," Popovkin told Rossiiskaya Gazeta newspaper.
"We could send a manned expedition to explore the asteroid or study it with probes," he said.
The asteroid-retrieval mission was first proposed last year by the Keck Institute for Space Studies at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.
The project envisions capturing a 25-foot wide asteroid, weighing approximately 500 metric tonnes, in a giant draw-string bag and towing it to the Moon orbit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj