Russia blames space radiation for Mars probe failure
Moscow: Russia`s space agency today blamed the effect of cosmic radiation for the failure of its Phobos-Grunt Mars probe, which crashed over the Pacific Ocean earlier this month.
"The most likely reason in the commission`s opinion is the local influence of heavy charged particles from outer space on the onboard computer system," said Roscosmos head Vladimir Popovkin, cited by RIA Novosti news agency.
The unmanned probe was launched in November in an ambitious mission to fly to Mars`s largest moon, Phobos, and collect ground samples.
But it failed to leave a low orbit around Earth, before gradually descending and crashing on January 15 over the Pacific Ocean.
Space radiation led the onboard computer system to experience memory problems after launch, the Roscosmos chief said.
Staff at the rocket-building plant would be punished, he said, adding that "they should have taken into consideration the effect of outer space".
He also suggested that sub-standard foreign-made microchips used in spaceships might be a factor in the failure. "This is imported equipment and this is probably part of the cause," he said.
The space mishap came as Russia was hoping to relaunch its interplanetary programme after an embarrassing string of failures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof