Russia halts space tours as US retires Shuttle
Star City: Russia announced a halt to space tourism on Wednesday, saying it would struggle to ferry professional crews to the International Space Station after the U.S. mothballs its shuttle fleet this year.
NASA plans four more shuttle flights to the $100-billion, 16-nation space outpost before retiring its three shuttles by the end of the year.
Russia, sending crews to the ISS aboard its single-use three-man Soyuz ships, will double the number of manned launches to four this year because permanent crews of professional astronauts aboard the expanded station are set to rise to six.
"This year will see the last shuttle mission, and from this moment Russia will not only become the sole nation sending crews, but ... also the only country ensuring the crew`s safety," Sergei Krikalyov, the head of the Russian Cosmonauts` Training Center, told reporters in Star City outside Moscow.
"As for (space) tourists ... there are now going to be six crew members, and it will be impossible to ferry a tourist each time there is a new crew shift in orbit, and for some time there will be a break in these journeys," Krikalyov said.
Canadian circus billionaire Guy Laliberte was the latest rich traveler -- officially the world`s seventh space tourist -- who visited the ISS briefly aboard a Soyuz last October after paying $35 million for his ride.
Russia plans to launch the first of this year`s planned four Soyuz ships on April 2. The U.S.-Russian trio will join a U.S.-Russian-Japanese team which has been manning the outpost since December.
Krikalyov did not say how long the break in space tourism would be. He made clear it would largely depend on how long it takes NASA to build a new space ship to replace the Shuttle.
He said the United States targets 2014 as the deadline for building the new space ship, but there could be delays.
"The talk will definitely be about years, but it`s hard to say now, whether it`s going to be one year, two years or five years," Krikalyov said. "The creation and trial of new spacecraft involves great technical risk and huge uncertainty."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM