Russia launches manned spacecraft to ISS
Moscow: Russia`s manned Soyuz TMA-22 spacecraft was successfully launched from the Baikonur space centre in Kazakhstan Monday and was heading for the International Space Station (ISS), Russia`s Federal Space Agency Roscosmos said.
The spacecraft carried three new crew for the ISS), Anton Shkaplerov and Anatoli Ivanishin from Russia and Daniel Burbank of the US, Xinhua reported.
The launch, which was conducted as planned at 08.14 Moscow time, had been delayed for almost two months after a Progress cargo spacecraft crash in August.
Roscosmos said the spacecraft reached its planned orbit nine minutes after lift-off and had begun its two-day flight to the ISS.
All the spacecraft`s systems were working normally and the crew felt well, a Baikonur source told Itar-Tass news agency.
The docking with Poisk module of the ISS`s Russian segment is slated for 09.33 Moscow time (0533 GMT) Wednesday.
The new crew members will join Russian cosmonaut Sergei Volkov, Japanese Space Agency astronaut Satoshi Furukawa and NASA astronaut Michael Fossum, who have been working in orbit since early June.
The crew planned to celebrate the ISS`s 75,000th orbit of earth, said Russian cosmonaut Shkaplerov before the launch.
They will conduct 37 experiments, including orbiting the Chibis micro-satellite, which studies gamma-radiation generated by lightning in the atmosphere.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened