Russia may build own space station
Moscow: Russia may use future modules of its segment of the International Space Station (ISS) to build its own orbital station, a senior space industry official said.
Russia is planning to launch four new ISS modules - a multirole laboratory module (MLM), a node module and two science-power modules - by 2020, when the time comes to de-orbit the existing international outpost in space.
"If the need arises, we could undock the new modules (from the ISS), starting with the MLM, and they will serve as a foundation for a new generation Russian space station," said Alexander Derechin, deputy chief designer for Russia`s space corporation RKK Energia.
The launch of the MLM module is tentatively scheduled for the end of 2013, Derechin added.
The current ISS project involves NASA, Roscosmos, the Canadian Space Agency, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), and 11 members of the European Space Agency (ESA).
The participants in the project are discussing the possibility of extending the ISS life until 2028.
The ISS currently has five Russian-built modules -- the Zvezda service module, the Zarya cargo block, the Pirs docking module, the Poisk ("Search") research module and Rassvet ("Dawn") research module.
Russia`s space agency Roscosmos announced plans to build a low-orbit space station to support future exploration of the Moon and Mars in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble