Russia proud of Olympic torch space relay
Moscow: Russia is proud of the space relay of the Olympic torch for the Sochi Winter Games, organising committee president Dmitry Chernyshenko said Sunday.
If any country can surpass Russia`s endeavour to send the Olympic torch on a spacewalk, Chernyshenko would like to see them try, Xinhua cited him as saying.
"We have shown the entire world what we are capable of very vividly... If anyone can do better, let them try," sports media R-Sport quoted Chernyshenko as saying.
Two Russian cosmonauts took the Olympic torch on a spacewalk Saturday for the first time in the history as part of the Sochi 2014 torch relay.
The torch, unlit for safety reasons, was taken out from the capsule of the International Space Station around 1450 GMT Saturday by cosmonauts Oleg Kotov and Sergey Ryazanskiy.
Millions of people around the world followed the live webcast of the event.
"The reaction across the globe has been extremely positive. Everyone has been talking about it. It had immense attention and there has been real respect, without irony, that Russia has put a torch in space," Chernyshenko said.
According to the official, the idea behind the space relay was to unite the whole nation around this event.
The torch will stay at the International Space Station till Monday before it will be brought back to Earth by Russian cosmonaut Fyodor Yurchikhin, US astronaut Karen Nyberg and Italian Luca Parmitano.
The "space" torch will be used to lit the main Olympic flame during the opening of the Sochi Winter Olympics Feb 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'