Russia revives permanent moon base plan
Moscow: Russian Space Agency Roscosmos is in talks with its European and US partners on the creation of manned research bases on the moon, the agencies chief, Vladimir Popovkin, said Thursday.
"We don`t want the man to just step on the moon," Popovkin said in an interview with Vesti FM radio station.
"Today, we know enough about it, we know that there is water in its polar areas," he said, adding "we are now discussing how to begin (the moon`s) exploration with NASA and the European Space Agency".
There are two options, he said: "either to set up a base on the moon or to launch a station to orbit around it."
The project of a "prospective manned transportation system" to be sent to the moon is currently being developed, the Roscosmos chief said.
The moon base project seems to revive Cold War-era plans to create a permanent outpost on the moon, which was talked about by some Soviet and US scientists since the late 1950s.
Russia is also planning to send two unmanned missions to the moon by 2020, the Luna Glob and the Luna Resource, Popovkin added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!