Russia revives permanent moon base plan
Moscow: Russian Space Agency Roscosmos is in talks with its European and US partners on the creation of manned research bases on the moon, the agencies chief, Vladimir Popovkin, said Thursday.
"We don`t want the man to just step on the moon," Popovkin said in an interview with Vesti FM radio station.
"Today, we know enough about it, we know that there is water in its polar areas," he said, adding "we are now discussing how to begin (the moon`s) exploration with NASA and the European Space Agency".
There are two options, he said: "either to set up a base on the moon or to launch a station to orbit around it."
The project of a "prospective manned transportation system" to be sent to the moon is currently being developed, the Roscosmos chief said.
The moon base project seems to revive Cold War-era plans to create a permanent outpost on the moon, which was talked about by some Soviet and US scientists since the late 1950s.
Russia is also planning to send two unmanned missions to the moon by 2020, the Luna Glob and the Luna Resource, Popovkin added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog