Russia sends clean-up team to meteorite-hit Urals
Moscow: In a freak incident on Friday, a meteor weighing about 10 tonnes streaked across the sky above Russia`s Ural Mountains, creating panic as shockwaves blasted windows, rocked buildings and injured 1,200 people. As part of a rescue and clean-up operation after the meteor strike, which injured around 1,200 people, a 20, 000-strong team has been sent to the Ural region.
The Russian Army has also joined the rescue operation. Army units are searching for meteorite debris in several places in Chelyabinsk region and in the neighbouring Tyumen region. Three aircrafts were also deployed to survey the area and locate other possible impact locations.
The clean-up team has been sent to the meteor hit region to help the injured people after President Vladimir Putin’s orders. 1,200 people, including 200 children, were injured by the strong shockwaves resulting from the explosion.
The injuries have mainly been caused by flying glasses in Chelya-binsk and Sverd-Lovsk regions. Most of those hurt suffered minor cuts and bruises but some received head injuries, Russian officials said.
Mr Putin said he thanked God that no big fragments of the 10-tonne meteor - which was thought to be made of iron and travelling at some 30 km (19 miles) per second - had fallen in populated areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!