Russia test launches RS-18 ballistic missile
Moscow: Russia successfully test-launched intercontinental ballistic missile -- RS-18 (SS-19 Stiletto) -- Tuesday from the Baikonur Space Centre in Kazakhstan, said the defence ministry.
The missile is capable of carrying up to six warheads.
"The goal of the test launch is to prove the stability and basic technical characteristics of missiles of this kind," said defence ministry spokesman Vadim Koval.
Developed by the Chelomei Design Bureau, the RS-18 is a silo-based, liquid-propellant missile, which together with the RS-16 (SS-17) and RS-20 (SS-18) comprises the fourth generation of Russian strategic missiles.
The Russian Strategic Missile Forces are considering the possibility of extending the RS-18 missiles` service term by one year to 33 years, he added.
A source in Russia`s defence industry said RS-18 missiles are currently used to test advanced warheads designed to penetrate missile defences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video