Russia test launches RS-18 ballistic missile
Moscow: Russia successfully test-launched intercontinental ballistic missile -- RS-18 (SS-19 Stiletto) -- Tuesday from the Baikonur Space Centre in Kazakhstan, said the defence ministry.
The missile is capable of carrying up to six warheads.
"The goal of the test launch is to prove the stability and basic technical characteristics of missiles of this kind," said defence ministry spokesman Vadim Koval.
Developed by the Chelomei Design Bureau, the RS-18 is a silo-based, liquid-propellant missile, which together with the RS-16 (SS-17) and RS-20 (SS-18) comprises the fourth generation of Russian strategic missiles.
The Russian Strategic Missile Forces are considering the possibility of extending the RS-18 missiles` service term by one year to 33 years, he added.
A source in Russia`s defence industry said RS-18 missiles are currently used to test advanced warheads designed to penetrate missile defences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic