Russia to spend $21 bn on space industry
Moscow: Russia will spend 670 billion rubles ($21 billion) to develop its space industry in the coming years, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said Monday.
"This is big money, you must not let a significant part of it be blown away," Medvedev told a government meeting in his Moscow region residence Monday but did not give the exact timeframe for the expenditure.
The prime minister said a string of recent space failures "just should not be". He earlier said the failures hurt Russia`s image as a leading space power.
"No space power has had that many failed launches," he said.
Medvedev sacked a number of senior space officials last month after two satellites were lost due to a failure in the Russian Proton-M rocket`s upper stage.
Speaking Monday, Medvedev said that entire teams working on spacecraft should be held responsible for future failures, not only key officials.
He also said the country`s space industry was in need of a "new system of quality control".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!