Russian meteor explosion`s dust lingered in atmosphere for 3 months
Washington: A meteor that exploded over the Russian city of Chelyabinsk left behind a huge plume of dust, with hundreds of tons of material in it, in the atmosphere that still lingered three months after the February 15 explosion, according to a new study.
Paul Newman, chief scientist for NASA Goddard Space Flight Center`s atmospheric science lab, said in a statement that about 30 years ago they could only state that the plume was embedded in the stratospheric jet stream but the current models are capable of precisely tracing the bolide and understanding its evolution as it moves around the Earth, Discovery News reported.
The Russian meteor weighing 11,000 metric tons exploded nearly 24 kilometers above Chelyabinsk, at that time some of the remains of the asteroid crashed to the ground, but rest amounting to hundreds of tons of dust remained in the atmosphere.
A team that was led by NASA Goddard atmospheric physicist Nick Gorkavyi , who is from Chelyabinsk, were thinking if it would be possible to trace the cloud using NASA`s Suomi NPP satellite and indeed it was.
Gorkavyi said that the team saw the formation of a new dust belt in Earth`s stratosphere, and were able to achieve the first space-based observation of the long-term evolution of a bolide plume.
Initial measurements taken 3.5 hours after the explosion showed that the dust, 40 km high in the atmosphere, was racing at 306 km/h.
According to researchers, even 3 months into the study, Suomi detected belt of dust circling the globe.
The findings have been accepted for publication in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!