Russian scientist gets award for comet discovery
Moscow: Russian amateur astronomer Leonid Elenin has become the first Russian to receive the prestigious Edgar Wilson Award for his discovery of a new comet using amateur equipment.
"It is the most coveted award for amateurs who search for new objects in the Solar System, because to discover a new comet is a dream for any of them, even for those who deny it," Elenin said Thursday.
Elenin, a scientist from the Keldysh Institute of Applied Mechanics, discovered the comet C/2010 X1 in December, 2010.
The Elenin Comet gained popularity among adepts of conspiracy and doomsday theories who prophesised a global catastrophe as the comet approached earth. However, the comet was hit in August by a coronal mass ejection while approaching the sun and began disintegrating.
Its debris passed earth at the closest distance of about 35 million km, and as of mid-October 2011, it was not visible even using large ground-based telescopes.
Established in 1998 in memory of American businessman Edgar Wilson, the award is given to amateurs (or to professional astronomers acting in an amateur capacity) who, in a given year find one or more new comets using amateur, privately owned equipment.
The funds available for the award amount to approximately $20,000 to be divided among the award winners for that year.
Elenin will share this year`s monetary award with four other amateur astronomers who discovered two more comets while working in pairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan