Saturn to be visible to naked eye
New Delhi: An eye-catching spectacle will greet star gazers tomorrow when Saturn, the Lord of the Rings, will be brightest and biggest in the night sky making it visible to the naked eye.
"Jovian planet Saturn will shine like a bright golden object in the night sky theatre on Monday as the planet will be at its opposition," N Sri Raghunandan Kumar, Secretary of
Planetary Society of India, said.
The planet with multiple rings will be visible as a bright object uptil May providing a great opportunity for star lovers to view it.
An object is at opposition when the Sun is on one side of the Earth and the object is directly on the opposite side, he said, adding on Monday night Sun-Earth-Saturn would be opposite to each other.
The result is that the object is fully illuminated by the Sun and appears disk-like, he said.
Opposition is the best time to observe the planet as it will visible all-night-long, rising at sunset and setting at sunrise, and is closest to the Earth so it appears bigger in size and brighter, he added.
Named after a Roman god, Saturn will seen in as disc-like body on the eastern horizon close to constellation Virgo soon after sunset from 6:30 PM, R C Kapoor, a former
professor of Indian Institute of Astrophysics, said.
The planet will be visible to the naked eyes throughout the night.
With a telescope or a binoculars, Saturn will appear as a yellowish spot with rings. Saturn opposition occur every one year and two weeks (378.1 days), or 29 times in every 30 years.
The last opposition of Saturn was on March 22, 2010.
The next opposition will be on April 15 next year followed by another on April 28, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'