Saudi Arabia launches solar energy programme
Dubai: Aiming to stabilise future power and water supplies in the country, Saudi Arabia has begun work on the first solar-powered water desalination plant, the first step in a three-part programme to introduce solar energy into the Kingdom.
The programme, launched by the King Abdulaziz City for
Science and Technology (KACST), aims to help stabilise future
power and water supplies inside Saudi Arabia through the
creation of solar-powered desalination facilities, an official
Water desalination is critical to providing clean
drinking water around the world.
Today, Saudi Arabia produces 18 per cent of the world`s
desalinated water. By building water desalination plants that
run on solar energy, the Kingdom can reduce operational costs
and in turn, reduce consumer costs.
Prince Dr Turki bin Saud bin Mohammad, KACST Vice
President for Research Institutes said, "The solar energy
programme will reduce the cost of producing desalinated water
and of generating power for use in the Kingdom, an
oil-dependent nation, which has launched a national energy
Saudi Arabia is a prime location to harness solar energy
because of its year-round sunshine. The sun in Saudi Arabia
emits about 7,000 watts of energy per square metre over an average of 12 hours every day, the statement added.
KACST and IBM have developed a research centre to determine how best to harness and repurpose this solar energy and is preparing to implement this state-of-the-art technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- PokéDates is here! Now, find love while catching Pokemon
- Quit TV as I couldn't do saas-bahu shows: Surveen Chawla
- Know who influences Shah Rukh Khan’s life – Details inside
- ED slaps case against BS Hooda and Associated Journal Ltd under PMLA
- Bhoot, pret, upari saya: MP minister clarifies on reasons behind farmers' suicide