Saudi Arabia launches solar energy programme
Dubai: Aiming to stabilise future power and water supplies in the country, Saudi Arabia has begun work on the first solar-powered water desalination plant, the first step in a three-part programme to introduce solar energy into the Kingdom.
The programme, launched by the King Abdulaziz City for
Science and Technology (KACST), aims to help stabilise future
power and water supplies inside Saudi Arabia through the
creation of solar-powered desalination facilities, an official
Water desalination is critical to providing clean
drinking water around the world.
Today, Saudi Arabia produces 18 per cent of the world`s
desalinated water. By building water desalination plants that
run on solar energy, the Kingdom can reduce operational costs
and in turn, reduce consumer costs.
Prince Dr Turki bin Saud bin Mohammad, KACST Vice
President for Research Institutes said, "The solar energy
programme will reduce the cost of producing desalinated water
and of generating power for use in the Kingdom, an
oil-dependent nation, which has launched a national energy
Saudi Arabia is a prime location to harness solar energy
because of its year-round sunshine. The sun in Saudi Arabia
emits about 7,000 watts of energy per square metre over an average of 12 hours every day, the statement added.
KACST and IBM have developed a research centre to determine how best to harness and repurpose this solar energy and is preparing to implement this state-of-the-art technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!