Scientists create sound of `God` particle at LHC
London: Scientists have simulated the sounds
set to be made by the subatomic `God` particle at the Large
Hadron Collider (LHC), the world`s largest and highest energy
particle accelerator designed to shed light on fundamental
questions in physics.
The LHC Sound project aimed to allow physicists at the
European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva to
"listen to the data" and pick out the Higgs particle if and
when they finally detect it.
The scientists believe that finding the Higgs boson --
also known as the God particle -- will provide an insight into
the nature of all matter.
Dr Lily Asquith, who worked with sound engineers to
convert data expected from collisions at the LHC into sounds,
said: "If the energy is close to you, you will hear a low
pitch and if it`s further away you hear a higher pitch."
"If it`s lots of energy it will be louder and if it`s
just a bit of energy it will be quieter," the particle
physicist told BBC News.
The 6-billion pound LHC machine is housed in a 27km-long
circular tunnel on the Swiss-French border, where thousands of
magnets steer beams of proton particles around the vast
At allotted points around the tunnel, the beams cross
paths, smashing together near four massive "experiments" that
monitor these collisions for interesting events.
Scientists are hoping that new sub-atomic particles will
emerge, revealing insights into the nature of the cosmos.
Atlas is one of the experiments at the LHC. An instrument
inside Atlas called the calorimeter is used for measuring
energy and is made up of seven concentric layers.
Each layer is represented by a note and their pitch is
different depending on the amount of energy that is deposited
in that layer. The process of converting scientific data into
sounds is called sonification.
Dr Asquith and her team have so far generated a number of
simulations based on predictions of what might happen during
collisions inside the LHC.
The team is only now feeding in real results from real
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- AAP-Sheila Dikshit trying to suppress Rs 400 crore water tanker scam: BJP
- Sensex extends losses for 3rd straight session on US rate hike concerns
- China-Pak Economic Corridor will not benefit locals in the region: Defence Expert
- SC to hear Delhi government's challenge of HC verdict in favour of L-G
- BJP calls on Centre, Bihar to join hands to resolve flood-linked crisis