Scientists create sound of `God` particle at LHC
London: Scientists have simulated the sounds
set to be made by the subatomic `God` particle at the Large
Hadron Collider (LHC), the world`s largest and highest energy
particle accelerator designed to shed light on fundamental
questions in physics.
The LHC Sound project aimed to allow physicists at the
European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva to
"listen to the data" and pick out the Higgs particle if and
when they finally detect it.
The scientists believe that finding the Higgs boson --
also known as the God particle -- will provide an insight into
the nature of all matter.
Dr Lily Asquith, who worked with sound engineers to
convert data expected from collisions at the LHC into sounds,
said: "If the energy is close to you, you will hear a low
pitch and if it`s further away you hear a higher pitch."
"If it`s lots of energy it will be louder and if it`s
just a bit of energy it will be quieter," the particle
physicist told BBC News.
The 6-billion pound LHC machine is housed in a 27km-long
circular tunnel on the Swiss-French border, where thousands of
magnets steer beams of proton particles around the vast
At allotted points around the tunnel, the beams cross
paths, smashing together near four massive "experiments" that
monitor these collisions for interesting events.
Scientists are hoping that new sub-atomic particles will
emerge, revealing insights into the nature of the cosmos.
Atlas is one of the experiments at the LHC. An instrument
inside Atlas called the calorimeter is used for measuring
energy and is made up of seven concentric layers.
Each layer is represented by a note and their pitch is
different depending on the amount of energy that is deposited
in that layer. The process of converting scientific data into
sounds is called sonification.
Dr Asquith and her team have so far generated a number of
simulations based on predictions of what might happen during
collisions inside the LHC.
The team is only now feeding in real results from real
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre