Scientists discover a lonely galactic island
Washington: Scientists have discovered a small dwarf irregular galaxy known as DDO 190, which was snapped in a new image from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope.
DDO 190 lies nine million light-years away from our solar system. It is considered part of the loosely associated Messier 94 group of galaxies, not far from the Local Group of galaxies that includes the Milky Way.
Numerous, less glamorous dwarf galaxies keep the Milky Way company. In terms of intergalactic real estate, our solar system has a plum location as part of a big, spiral galaxy, the Milky Way, NASA said in a statement.
Many galaxies, however, are comparatively isolated, without close neighbours. One such example is DDO 190.
"DDO" stands for the David Dunlap Observatory. DDO 190 is classified as a dwarf irregular galaxy as it is relatively small and lacks clear structure.
Older, reddish stars mostly populate DDO 190`s outskirts, while some younger, bluish stars gleam in DDO 190`s more crowded interior.
Some pockets of ionized gas heated up by stars appear here and there, with the most noticeable one shining towards the bottom of DDO 190.
Meanwhile, a great number of distant galaxies with evident spiral, elliptical and less-defined shapes glow in the background.
Canadian astronomer Sidney van der Bergh was the first to record DDO 190 in 1959 as part of the DDO catalog of dwarf galaxies.
Although within the Messier 94 group, DDO 190 is on its own. The galaxy`s nearest dwarf galaxy neighbor, DDO 187, is thought to be no closer than three million light-years away.
Many of the Milky Way`s companion galaxies, such as the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, reside within a fifth or so of that distance, and even the giant spiral of the Andromeda Galaxy is closer to the Milky Way than DDO 190 is to its nearest neighbour.
Hubble`s Advanced Camera for Surveys captured the galaxy in visible and infrared light. The field of view is around 3.3 by 3.3 arcminutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened