Scientists inch closer to unraveling dark matter
Geneva: In what could be termed as a step closer to unraveling one of the universe’s greatest mysteries, scientist claimed that the $2 billion cosmic ray detector on the International Space Station may have found the first significant hint of dark matter.
The foremost results from the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer show proof of a new physics phenomena that could be the strange and unknown matter, said an international team at the European particle physics laboratory near Geneva on Wednesday.
Nobel-winning physicist Samuel Ting, who leads the team, said he looks forward to a more conclusive answer within months.
The data is being collected and analyzed at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, along the Swiss-French border
The findings are based on seeing an excess of positrons - positively charged subatomic particles.
While dark matter accounts for most of the mass in the Universe, unraveling the mystery of it could help scientists better understand the composition of our universe and, more particularly, what holds galaxies together.
"This is an 80-year-old detective story and we are getting close to the end," said University of Chicago physicist Michael Turner, one of the giants in the field of dark matter. "This is a tantalizing clue and further results from AMS could finish the story."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video