Scientists strain to `hear` gravitational waves
London: Researchers have brought the world one step closer to `hearing` gravitational waves - ripples in space and time predicted by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century.
The research, conducted at NASA`s Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL) in California, tested a system of lasers that would fly aboard the proposed space mission called Laser Interferometer Space Antenna, or LISA.
The mission`s goal is to detect the subtle, whisper-like signals of gravitational waves, which have yet to be directly observed. This is no easy task and many challenges lie ahead, reports the journal Physical Review Letters.
Just as a boat sailing through the ocean produces waves in the water, moving masses like stars or black holes produce gravitational waves in the fabric of space-time.
A more massive moving object will produce more powerful waves, and objects that move very quickly will produce more waves over a certain time period.
The new JPL tests hit one significant milestone - demonstrating for the first time that noise or random fluctuations in LISA`s laser beams can be hushed enough to hear the sweet sounds of the elusive waves, according to a NASA statement.
"In order to detect gravitational waves, we have to make extremely precise measurements," said Bill Klipstein, study co-author and physicist at JPL.
"Our lasers are much noisier than what we want to measure, so we have to remove that noise carefully to get a clear signal. It`s a little like listening for a feather to drop in the middle of a heavy rainstorm."
The JPL team is one of many groups working on LISA, a joint European Space Agency and NASA mission proposal, which would launch in 2020 or later, if selected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video