Secrets of Mercury’s geological history revealed
Washington: The MESSENGER spacecraft, which has been orbiting Mercury since March 2011, has been revealing new information about the surface chemistry and geological history of the innermost planet in the solar system.
Based on the data received from the space venture, 205 measurements of the surface composition from MESSENGER’s X-ray spectrometer have been recently analyzed, focusing on the large expanse of smooth volcanic plains at high northern latitudes and surrounding areas that are higher in crater density and therefore, older than the northern plains, according to author Shoshana Zoe Weider, Department of Terrestrial Magnetism, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Washington, DC.
In general, the measurements show that Mercury’s surface composition is very different from that of other planets in the solar system.
It is dominated by minerals high in magnesium and enriched in sulfur.
This composition is similar to that expected from partial melts of enstatite chondrites, a rare type of meteorite that formed at high temperatures in highly reducing (low oxygen) conditions in the inner solar system.
In addition, the researchers found that the composition of Mercury’s northern plains deposits differs from that of the surrounding older terrain.
In particular, the older terrain has higher ratios of magnesium to silicon, sulfur to silicon, and calcium to silicon, but lower ratios of aluminum to silicon.
These differences suggest that the smooth plains material erupted from a magma source that was chemically different from the source of the material in the older regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users