See first image of Earth taken by Mars probe
Zee Media Bureau\Philaso G Kaping
New Delhi: The Indian Space Research Organisation has uploaded a photo of the Earth taken by the Mars Orbiter on its Facebook page.
The picture was taken on Tuesday while the payload of the Mars probe was being tested and includes most of the Indian subcontinent, Tibet, the Middle East, parts of north-eastern Africa, the Arabian Sea, the Indian Ocean. It also shows the cyclonic storm Helen over the Bay of Bengal as it hurtles towards Andhra Pradesh coast.
“We have a nice little thing to share with all of you... yesterday in the process of testing our payloads we turned the Mars Color Camera towards the Earth and switched it on... and here is the ‘First ever image of Earth Taken by Mars Color Camera,’” said the post on ISRO`s Mars Orbiter Mission page.
“This image was taken yesterday at around 13:50 hrs from a height of almost 70,000 km above earth and has a spatial resolution of 3.5 km... We are certain we`re going to get some great shots in the orbit of Mars,” added ISRO.
Launched on November 5, the probe will monitor the Martian crust and atmosphere for signs of methane and explore the morphology, mineralogy of the Red Planet.
ISRO will move the probe from the earth`s orbit towards Mars on December 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan