See Night Sky in its biggest avatar yet
Seattle: Astronomers have managed to put together the biggest colour picture of the night sky ever made, after an almost 11-year long effort.
The image, assembled by the Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS), is actually a combination of seven million telescope images, each consisting of 125 million pixels - the final image amounts to 1.2 trillion pixels in all.
One would need 500,000 high-definition TVs to see the image in one go at full resolution.
Professional astronomers as well as the general public have unrestricted access to the SDSS III image. One can zoom on to view the image in high resolution.
In the past, Google Sky and Microsoft`s WorldWide Telescope have used SDSS imagery to build online planetarium programs.
The Telegraph quoted Professor Bob Nichol, of the University of Portsmouth, as saying: "This image represents the culmination of more than a decade of work, and opens opportunities for many years of scientific discoveries yet to come.”
“This is one of the biggest bounties in the history of science,” New York University astronomer Mike Blanton was quoted as saying.
The image’s release was declared at the 217th annual meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Seattle, US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'