Semi-analytical model created to help explain `puzzling` triple-star system
Washington: Scientists have developed a semi-analytical model, which could help resolve the puzzling formation of this exotic triple-star system.
Astrophysicist Thomas Tauris from the Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy and the Argelander Institute for Astronomy in Bonn jointly with Ed van den Heuvel through theoretical calculations and stability analysis on the base of stellar evolution, demonstrated a plausible theoretical model which brings new insight to knowledge of stellar interactions in multiple star systems.
Their study can also help explain an increasing number of observed binary millisecond pulsars which seem to require a triple system origin.
The new triple millisecond pulsar J0337+1715 was discovered recently by a joint American-European collaboration led by Scott Ransom from National Radio Astronomy Observatory (USA).
The system is located in the constellation of Taurus at a distance of about 4000 light-years. It is in the galactic disk, and not inside a globular cluster.
One of the key results of the study conducted by Tauris and van den Heuvel is that the observed parameters reflect that both white dwarfs were indeed produced in the present system.
van den Heuvel said that an interesting result is that the system evolved through a common envelope stage where both white dwarf progenitor stars were dragged into the envelope of the massive star due to frictional forces, causing their orbits to shrink by a large factor, thereby enabling survival of its subsequent explosion
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender