Shuttle Endeavour makes its final journey, treks down LA streets
Los Angeles: The US space shuttle Endeavour made its final journey today trekking down the streets of Los Angeles.
Endeavour`s final mission began when it departed from the Los Angeles International Airport before dawn yesterday, rolling on a 160-wheeled carrier past diamond-shaped "Shuttle Xing" signs.
Around midnight, it traveled over a bridge across Interstate 405, an especially tricky part of the complicated journey because of the size of the space craft and width of the bridge.
Yesterday it stopped as crews spent hours transferring the shuttle to a special, lighter towing dolly. The shuttle was pulled across the Manchester Boulevard Bridge by a Toyota Tundra pickup, and the car company filmed the event for a commercial after paying for a permit, turning the entire scene into a movie set complete with special lighting, sound and staging.
Police stopped traffic on the freeway below for the duration of the traverse, which took about three minutes.
Crews preparing for the crossing had to take down power lines, leaving about 400 residents of surrounding Inglewood without power for what was expected to be several hours.
Early today, the shuttle rolled past Inglewood City Hall toward a scheduled stop at the Forum, where it was greeted in the arena`s parking lot by a throng of cheering spectators ahead of its trip further east on Manchester Boulevard.
Another tricky part will come later in the day when Endeavour treks through a narrow residential street with apartment buildings on both sides. With its wings expected to intrude into driveways, residents have been told to stay indoors until the shuttle passes.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly