Shuttle Endeavour makes its final journey, treks down LA streets
Los Angeles: The US space shuttle Endeavour made its final journey today trekking down the streets of Los Angeles.
Endeavour`s final mission began when it departed from the Los Angeles International Airport before dawn yesterday, rolling on a 160-wheeled carrier past diamond-shaped "Shuttle Xing" signs.
Around midnight, it traveled over a bridge across Interstate 405, an especially tricky part of the complicated journey because of the size of the space craft and width of the bridge.
Yesterday it stopped as crews spent hours transferring the shuttle to a special, lighter towing dolly. The shuttle was pulled across the Manchester Boulevard Bridge by a Toyota Tundra pickup, and the car company filmed the event for a commercial after paying for a permit, turning the entire scene into a movie set complete with special lighting, sound and staging.
Police stopped traffic on the freeway below for the duration of the traverse, which took about three minutes.
Crews preparing for the crossing had to take down power lines, leaving about 400 residents of surrounding Inglewood without power for what was expected to be several hours.
Early today, the shuttle rolled past Inglewood City Hall toward a scheduled stop at the Forum, where it was greeted in the arena`s parking lot by a throng of cheering spectators ahead of its trip further east on Manchester Boulevard.
Another tricky part will come later in the day when Endeavour treks through a narrow residential street with apartment buildings on both sides. With its wings expected to intrude into driveways, residents have been told to stay indoors until the shuttle passes.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog