Small black hole called microquasar `discovered`
London: Astronomers have discovered a small black hole, called a microquasar, weighing only as much as a star, which they claim would allow them to measure the power of black hole jets.
An international team, led by University of Strasbourg in France, which has spotted the microquasar, that shoots jets of radio-emitting particles into space, has concluded massive black holes are more powerful than previously thought.
Called S26, the black hole sits inside a regular galaxy called NGC 7793, which is 13M light-years away in the Southern constellation of Sculptor.
The team, led by Dr Manfred Pakull, has made the observations with CSIRO`s Compact Array radio telescope near Narrabri in Australia. These show that S26 is a near-perfect analogue of much larger "radio galaxies" and "radio quasars".
Powerful radio galaxies and quasars are almost extinct today, but they dominated the early Universe, billions of years ago, like cosmic dinosaurs. They contain big black holes, billions of times more massive than Sun, and shoot out huge radio jets stretching millions of light-years into space.
Planetary scientists have been working for decades to understand how these black holes form their giant jets, and how much of the black hole`s energy those jets transmit to the gas they travel through. That gas is raw material for forming stars and effects of jets on star formation are hotly debated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees