Soft, hot layer found deep inside Moon
Tokyo: Researchers have found a soft layer deep inside the moon which is also extremely hot.
An international research team, led by Dr. Yuji Harada from Planetary Science Institute, China University of Geosciences suggested that the interior of the Moon has not yet cooled and hardened and the heat would have been effectively generated in the layer by the gravity of the Earth.
The research team performed theoretical calculations to understand what type of internal structure of the Moon leads to the observed change of the lunar shape and these results were derived by comparing the deformation of the Moon as precisely measured by Kaguya (SELENE, Selenological and Engineering Explorer) and other probes with theoretically calculated estimates.
It was found that the observed tidal deformation of the Moon could have been well explained if it was assumed that there was an extremely soft layer in the deepest part of the lunar mantle. The previous studies indicated that there could be the possibility that a part of the rock at the deepest part inside the lunar mantle might be molten. This research result supported the above possibility since partially molten rock becomes softer.
This research provides a chance to reconsider how both the Earth and the Moon have been evolving since their births through mutual influence until now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’