Solar-powered aircraft lands in Spain after 17-hour flight
Melbourne: A plane, which was exclusively using the sun’s energy, has touched down in Spain after a 17-hour flight.
The Solar Impulse took off from Rabat in Morocco and was on its return trip to Switzerland, News.com.au reported.
It had been scheduled to reach Madrid in the wee hours last Tuesday, but a sudden change in the weather kept it from taking off from Rabat.
The aircraft only weighs 1600 kilos, though it has the same wingspan as an Airbus, which makes it very dependent on winds and air currents.
The prototype, created by Bertrand Piccard and Andre Borschberg, reached Madrid-Barajas before midnight, but was unable to land for several hours so as not to interfere with the ordinary operations on the runways.
Piccard and Borschberg began this adventure seven years ago and made the first trial flight in 2009. A year later, the Solar Impulse made its first real flight and was able to remain in the air day and night for 26 hours without any kind of fuel.
The 12,000 photovoltaic cells that cover its wings absorb solar energy and transfer it to the aircraft’s four batteries, which allow it to fly for up to five hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured