Soon, ISS astronauts to brew fresh, hot coffee in space
Zee Media Bureau
London: Astronauts aboard the International Space Station (ISS) will soon be able to enjoy better quality of coffee while at work, courtesy- the ISSpresso machine.
The Italian Space Agency (ISA) will be sending up the ISSpresso machine to the space station in November along with the Futura Mission crew, which will include the first Italian female astronaut in space, Samantha Cristoforetti.
“ISSpresso”, made by global coffee company Lavazza with engineering firm Argotec, is the first coffee machine that is able to work in micro gravity on the ISS.
The machine will enable astronauts to brew the hot caffeinated beverage as an alternative to the instant coffee that has been their only option aboard the space station for the past 13 years.
The ISSpresso machine- How it works?
The machine uses a normal Lavazza coffee capsule that is posted on top of the machine.
Water is aspirated and pressurised in a unique electrical system and is then heated.
The granules mix with the hot water and the coffee is piped into a pouch.
It is securely fastened to the machine using a "rapid coupling/uncoupling system".
Astronauts drink the coffee straight from the pouch using a straw, media reports said.
According to Giuseppe Lavazza, vice president of Lavazza, “ISSpresso represents a technologically high-value project which will help improve our understanding of the principles of fluid dynamics and conditions in micro gravity.”
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre