Soon, ISS astronauts to brew fresh, hot coffee in space
Zee Media Bureau
London: Astronauts aboard the International Space Station (ISS) will soon be able to enjoy better quality of coffee while at work, courtesy- the ISSpresso machine.
The Italian Space Agency (ISA) will be sending up the ISSpresso machine to the space station in November along with the Futura Mission crew, which will include the first Italian female astronaut in space, Samantha Cristoforetti.
“ISSpresso”, made by global coffee company Lavazza with engineering firm Argotec, is the first coffee machine that is able to work in micro gravity on the ISS.
The machine will enable astronauts to brew the hot caffeinated beverage as an alternative to the instant coffee that has been their only option aboard the space station for the past 13 years.
The ISSpresso machine- How it works?
The machine uses a normal Lavazza coffee capsule that is posted on top of the machine.
Water is aspirated and pressurised in a unique electrical system and is then heated.
The granules mix with the hot water and the coffee is piped into a pouch.
It is securely fastened to the machine using a "rapid coupling/uncoupling system".
Astronauts drink the coffee straight from the pouch using a straw, media reports said.
According to Giuseppe Lavazza, vice president of Lavazza, “ISSpresso represents a technologically high-value project which will help improve our understanding of the principles of fluid dynamics and conditions in micro gravity.”
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra