Soon, snake shaped robots to spill Mars` secrets
Washington: Researchers have apparently taken inspiration from legless slithering reptiles- snakes- to design a brand new Mars exploration robot.
Aksel Transeth, a senior scientist from Norway`s SINTEF Research Institute, along with his colleagues, is carrying out a feasibility study for the European Space Agency, to see how a snake robot would fare on the red planet, ABC News reported.
Transeth told the publication that the study is more like a written report than a series of experiments, however, the ideas on paper could make their way into a prototype within a few months.
Howie Choset, a professor of robotics at Carnegie Mellon University, said that there are many places that current rovers can`t reach, but the snake robot could travel to cliffs and look underneath overhangs.
Choset asserted that the new model could find a crevasse, crawl down it and extract a sample, which itself could tell us how Mars evolved as a planet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’