Soyuz craft carrying three-man crew lands safely
Almaty, Kazakhstan: A Soyuz capsule with two Russians and an American on board touched down safely today in mild weather on the sweeping steppes of central Kazakhstan.
The three-man crew, comprising Anton Shkaplerov and Anatoly Ivanishin and NASA`s Daniel Burbank, returned to earth after a 163-day stay on the International Space Station.
The Russian-made module gently landed on schedule, throwing up a puff of earth in a remote and dusty location north of the central Kazakh town of Arkalyk.
Eight search-and-rescue helicopters circled the landing site to ensure a speedy recovery process.
NASA television broadcast vivid images of the capsule carried by a parachute swaying slightly as it floated downward in the clear skies while six all-terrain vehicles approached the landing spot in a well-rehearsed procedure.
The capsule rolled onto its side during the landing, which is common, picking up a coating of rough tinder-dry wild steppe grass.
Shkaplerov, who was positioned in the central seat, was the first to be hauled out and hoisted into a reclining chair. While medical personnel mopped his brow and checked his vital signals, the astronaut smiled broadly and chatted with his colleagues.
Ivanishin, and then a heartily laughing Burbank, went through the same procedure a few minutes later.
Speaking from the touchdown site, NASA spokesman Rob Navias said this was a "bullseye landing."
"The spacecraft landed almost exactly where it was forecast to," he told NASA television.
The capsule`s voyage from the space station started 3 1/2 hours earlier, when it undocked and began a slow, gentle drift away from the space station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what