Space laser set to prove increased broadband possible beyond Earth
Washington: NASA`s new mission is going to attempt to show that two-way laser communication beyond Earth is possible, which expands the possibility of transmitting huge amounts of data.
This new ability could one day allow for 3-D High Definition video transmissions in deep space to become routine.
Don Cornwell, Lunar Laser Communication Demonstration (LLCD) manager, said that the goal of the (LLCD) experiment is to validate and build confidence in this technology so that future missions will consider using it.
He said that this unique ability developed by MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology Lincoln Laboratory), has incredible application possibilities and we are very excited to get this instrument off the ground.
LLCD is NASA`s first dedicated system for two-way communication using laser instead of radio waves.
Cornwell said that LLCD is designed to send six times more data from the moon using a smaller transmitter with 25 percent less power as compared to the equivalent state-of-the-art radio (RF) system and lasers are also more secure and less susceptible to interference and jamming.
The LLCD experiment is hosted aboard NASA`s LADEE: a 100-day robotic mission designed, built, integrated, tested and will be operated by Ames.
LLCD`s main mission objective is to transmit hundreds of millions of bits of data per second from the moon to Earth.
NASA engineers believe this technology becomes even more advantageous for communications beyond Earth`s orbit.
Image credit: NASA
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Have given corruption free govt: Amit Shah on 2 years of Modi raj
- Raghuram Rajan's reappointment as RBI Governor should not be of media's interest: PM Modi
- Can a car headrest be a rescue tool in emergency?
- Peace is a two-way street, remove self-imposed obstacle of terrorism: PM Modi tells Pakistan
- New Zealand plan first day-night Test against England in 2018