Space programme has benefited country: S Radhakrishnan
New Delhi: The success of the Indian space programme has trickled down to society and led to direct economic and other benefits, ISRO chairman S Radhakrishnan today said.
"The Indian space programme has touched everything, from agriculture to weather (forecast). Indian space applications have trickled down to society. They have brought economic benefits," Radhakrishnan said.
He was speaking at the `India Today` Conclave`s panel discussion on `Rockets vs Rotis - What to do First: Feed the hungry or reach the Moon`, along with Jean-Yves Le Gall, the President of the National Space Agency of France.
Radhakrishnan said that despite budgetary constraints, the impact of India`s space programme has been phenomenal.
Further, defending the spending on the Mars Orbiter Mission (MoM), Radhakrishnan said that such projects had ignited the intellectual hunger and attracted the youth and students to be part of the Indian space programme.
He added that the MoM is 21.5 million kilometres from earth, in good health and on its course.
"It takes 72 minutes for any signal to reach the MoM," Radhakrishnan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof