Space programme has benefited country: S Radhakrishnan
New Delhi: The success of the Indian space programme has trickled down to society and led to direct economic and other benefits, ISRO chairman S Radhakrishnan today said.
"The Indian space programme has touched everything, from agriculture to weather (forecast). Indian space applications have trickled down to society. They have brought economic benefits," Radhakrishnan said.
He was speaking at the `India Today` Conclave`s panel discussion on `Rockets vs Rotis - What to do First: Feed the hungry or reach the Moon`, along with Jean-Yves Le Gall, the President of the National Space Agency of France.
Radhakrishnan said that despite budgetary constraints, the impact of India`s space programme has been phenomenal.
Further, defending the spending on the Mars Orbiter Mission (MoM), Radhakrishnan said that such projects had ignited the intellectual hunger and attracted the youth and students to be part of the Indian space programme.
He added that the MoM is 21.5 million kilometres from earth, in good health and on its course.
"It takes 72 minutes for any signal to reach the MoM," Radhakrishnan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- BMWs for Rio Champions: Shobhaa De launches SCATHING attack – See her Tweet
- Horribly Sad! Single lightning strike kills 323 reindeers in Norway
- Retiring Tillakaratne Dilshan speaks on lack of support from teammates during his captaincy stint
- MS Dhoni backs Virat Kohli-led team India to claim No. 1 spot in Tests by the end of home season
- I want to play a warrior: Tabu