Space shuttle Endeavour heads to museum
Cape Canaveral (US): The US space shuttle Endeavour began a journey to its new life as a museum piece today, heading west on the last ferry flight of its kind as NASA shuts down its shuttle programme.
Bolted to the top of a jumbo jet, the space agency`s youngest shuttle departed Kennedy Space Center in Florida at sunrise on the first leg of its flight to California.
Crowds lined the beaches of Cape Canaveral as the shuttle swooped low overhead in one final show.
"I am feeling a tremendous amount of pride," said astronaut Kay Hire, who flew aboard Endeavour two years ago. Endeavour flew 25 times in space before retiring last year. It circled Earth more nearly 4,700 times.
Endeavour will make it as far as Houston, home to Mission Control, today before arriving in Los Angeles on Friday. In mid-October, it will be transported very slowly down city streets to the California Science Center.
This is the last flight for a space shuttle. Atlantis will remain at Kennedy for display. Discovery is at the Smithsonian Institution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more
- Anil Kumble pips Ravi Shastri to become new coach of Team India