Space shuttle Endeavour heads to museum
Cape Canaveral (US): The US space shuttle Endeavour began a journey to its new life as a museum piece today, heading west on the last ferry flight of its kind as NASA shuts down its shuttle programme.
Bolted to the top of a jumbo jet, the space agency`s youngest shuttle departed Kennedy Space Center in Florida at sunrise on the first leg of its flight to California.
Crowds lined the beaches of Cape Canaveral as the shuttle swooped low overhead in one final show.
"I am feeling a tremendous amount of pride," said astronaut Kay Hire, who flew aboard Endeavour two years ago. Endeavour flew 25 times in space before retiring last year. It circled Earth more nearly 4,700 times.
Endeavour will make it as far as Houston, home to Mission Control, today before arriving in Los Angeles on Friday. In mid-October, it will be transported very slowly down city streets to the California Science Center.
This is the last flight for a space shuttle. Atlantis will remain at Kennedy for display. Discovery is at the Smithsonian Institution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'