SpaceX delays February flight to space station
Washington: SpaceX said on Thurday it has postponed its February test flight of the Dragon capsule to the International Space Station, the first-ever bid by a private company to dock at the orbiting lab.
The delay is due to technical reasons and a new launch date for the unmanned mission has not been set.
"In preparation for the upcoming launch, SpaceX continues to conduct extensive testing and analysis," spokeswoman Kirstin Grantham said in an email to a website.
"We believe that there are a few areas that will benefit from additional work and will optimise the safety and success of this mission. We are now working with NASA to establish a new target launch date."
SpaceX -- owned by Elon Musk, an Internet entrepreneur and founder of PayPal -- in December 2010 became the first commercial outfit to send its Dragon spacecraft into orbit and back.
The next steps -- a fly-by and berthing mission at the ISS -- were initially scheduled for February 7, but NASA said in December that date could change because "a significant amount of critical work" remained before launch.
SpaceX and several other companies are competing to be the first to operate a private capsule that could tote astronauts and cargo to the ISS, after NASA retired its space shuttle program last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video