SpaceX Dragon capsule docks at ISS
Washington: The SpaceX Dragon cargo capsule has successfully docked with the International Space Station a day late due to a temporary technical problem, NASA said.
The capsule was berthed Sunday to the Harmony module of the International Space Station.
"The hatch between the newly arrived spacecraft and the Harmony module of the space station is scheduled to be opened tomorrow (Monday)," NASA said.
Operating the Canadian-built robotic arm, US astronaut Kevin Ford grappled the privately-owned Dragon cargo ship.
The Dragon spacecraft is carrying 575 kg of supplies for the space station crew and for experiments being conducted aboard the orbiting laboratory.
The space freighter is to spend 22 days attached to the station.
During that time, astronauts will unload cargo and load the craft with 1,210 kg of Earth-bound experiment samples and equipment.
A Falcon 9 rocket with the Dragon blasted off from the Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida Friday. The docking was initially scheduled for Saturday, but was delayed due to the thruster failure.
Shortly after the launch, the spacecraft experienced a problem with its thruster pods used for orbital manoeuvres, but they were all fixed later and the spacecraft successfully performed a manoeuvre to raise its orbit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note