SpaceX Dragon capsule docks at ISS
Washington: The SpaceX Dragon cargo capsule has successfully docked with the International Space Station a day late due to a temporary technical problem, NASA said.
The capsule was berthed Sunday to the Harmony module of the International Space Station.
"The hatch between the newly arrived spacecraft and the Harmony module of the space station is scheduled to be opened tomorrow (Monday)," NASA said.
Operating the Canadian-built robotic arm, US astronaut Kevin Ford grappled the privately-owned Dragon cargo ship.
The Dragon spacecraft is carrying 575 kg of supplies for the space station crew and for experiments being conducted aboard the orbiting laboratory.
The space freighter is to spend 22 days attached to the station.
During that time, astronauts will unload cargo and load the craft with 1,210 kg of Earth-bound experiment samples and equipment.
A Falcon 9 rocket with the Dragon blasted off from the Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida Friday. The docking was initially scheduled for Saturday, but was delayed due to the thruster failure.
Shortly after the launch, the spacecraft experienced a problem with its thruster pods used for orbital manoeuvres, but they were all fixed later and the spacecraft successfully performed a manoeuvre to raise its orbit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final
- Playing with lives of soldiers? Jawans in Siachen may have been given substandard snow suits to fight -60 deg C
- Euro 2016: Spain veteran Iker Casillas hints at retirement after team's defeat against Italy
- Jailed ex-MP Shahabuddin shifted to AIIMS
- Facebook to give more prominence to family and friends, not media