SpaceX poised to dock with ISS
New Delhi: SpaceX, owned by the billionaire Internet entrepreneur, Elon Musk , is all poised to be the first private company to send its own cargo ship to the International Space Station (ISS).
The space mission will begin before dawn Saturday (4:55 am, 0855 GMT) with the launch of the unmanned Dragon spacecraft aboard a Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.
If all goes well as planned, the bid would propel the company even further ahead in the race to fill the void left by the US Space Shuttle program which ended in July last year. Otherwise, it would be a setback for SpaceX, one of several firms working to build and launch a spacecraft that could tote astronauts to the ISS by 2015.
"The attention given to this flight creates a set of high expectations and it`s still a test flight but the consequences of failure would be very serious," said John Logsdon, space policy expert at George Washington University. "NASA is putting a big bet on this succeeding."
The company has so far received $381 million from NASA as part of a multi-year $1.6-billion contract to expand the capability to carry cargo to and from the ISS.
NASA has also made a similar deal with a second company, Orbital Sciences, though it is yet to attempt its first cargo mission.
While, SpaceX became the first commercial enterprise to successfully launch its space capsule into low-Earth orbit and back for a safe ocean recovery in 2010, the compay has also been able to develop the Falcon 9 rocket launch vehicle at a third of the cost -- $1.7 billion.
"They are playing with their own money and they have real incentives to hold down costs," said Howard McCurdy, an author and space policy expert at American University in Washington. He said "SpaceX is in the lead but whether or not they are going to wind up in the lead at the end, we don`t know, that`s what makes it fascinating to watch".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!