SpaceX `soft-lands` rocket back on earth for first time ever
London: A Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX) has achieved a space breakthrough by successfully soft-landing a Falcon-9 rocket .
The US company, which used the engines of the rocket to slow its fall, deployed a set of legs to make a "soft landing", the BBC reported.
The vehicle, which was launched from Cape Canaveral, had a stage that was vertical and had zero velocity on contact.
SpaceX`s chief designer Elon Musk said that no-one has ever soft-landed a liquid-rocket boost-stage before and he thinks this bodes well for achieving reusability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?