SpaceX `soft-lands` rocket back on earth for first time ever
London: A Space Exploration Technologies Corp. (SpaceX) has achieved a space breakthrough by successfully soft-landing a Falcon-9 rocket .
The US company, which used the engines of the rocket to slow its fall, deployed a set of legs to make a "soft landing", the BBC reported.
The vehicle, which was launched from Cape Canaveral, had a stage that was vertical and had zero velocity on contact.
SpaceX`s chief designer Elon Musk said that no-one has ever soft-landed a liquid-rocket boost-stage before and he thinks this bodes well for achieving reusability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16