SpaceX successfully launches Falcon to ISS
New Delhi: The California-based Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, better known as SpaceX, became the first private company to send its own craft Dragon cargo capsule to the International Space Station on Tuesday after fixing an engine problem that grounded its earlier attempt.
The Dragon capsule atop the Falcon 9 rocket is filled with 1,000 pounds of food and other provisions. The Dragon was blasted off from Cape Canaveral in Florida at 3.44 am (0744 GMT), on a mission to carry supplies to the orbiting research outpost.
SpaceX`s first attempt to send its Dragon cargo capsule to the International Space Station ended abruptly Saturday morning when computers aboard the company`s Falcon 9 rocket shut off the craft`s engines just after ignition.
During the final moments of the weekend`s countdown, a flight computer detected slightly high pressures inside the thrust chamber of the vehicle`s fifth engine - one of nine that power the first stage of the ascent - and commanded a shut-down.
Once in orbit, the Falcon rocket will chase down the station and berth with it. After a couple of weeks, the ship will return to Earth with equipment that needs to be repaired. As of now, only government-owned vehicles have been used to run this freight service.
In future, NASA wants to contract out the role to US companies. In a few years, the private sector could even take over the task of ferrying astronauts to and from the station.
NASA hopes these changes will save money that can then be invested in exploration missions far beyond Earth, at destinations such as asteroids and Mars.
"Sending a spacecraft to the space station has only ever been accomplished by four entities - the United States, Russia, Japan and the European Union," an English daily quoted NASA on the eve of Tuesday`s launch attempt.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive