SpaceX successfully launches Falcon to ISS
New Delhi: The California-based Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, better known as SpaceX, became the first private company to send its own craft Dragon cargo capsule to the International Space Station on Tuesday after fixing an engine problem that grounded its earlier attempt.
The Dragon capsule atop the Falcon 9 rocket is filled with 1,000 pounds of food and other provisions. The Dragon was blasted off from Cape Canaveral in Florida at 3.44 am (0744 GMT), on a mission to carry supplies to the orbiting research outpost.
SpaceX`s first attempt to send its Dragon cargo capsule to the International Space Station ended abruptly Saturday morning when computers aboard the company`s Falcon 9 rocket shut off the craft`s engines just after ignition.
During the final moments of the weekend`s countdown, a flight computer detected slightly high pressures inside the thrust chamber of the vehicle`s fifth engine - one of nine that power the first stage of the ascent - and commanded a shut-down.
Once in orbit, the Falcon rocket will chase down the station and berth with it. After a couple of weeks, the ship will return to Earth with equipment that needs to be repaired. As of now, only government-owned vehicles have been used to run this freight service.
In future, NASA wants to contract out the role to US companies. In a few years, the private sector could even take over the task of ferrying astronauts to and from the station.
NASA hopes these changes will save money that can then be invested in exploration missions far beyond Earth, at destinations such as asteroids and Mars.
"Sending a spacecraft to the space station has only ever been accomplished by four entities - the United States, Russia, Japan and the European Union," an English daily quoted NASA on the eve of Tuesday`s launch attempt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured