SpaceX to launch resupply mission to space station
Washington: US private company SpaceX will launch its Dragon space freighter on a second resupply mission to the International Space Station (ISS), NASA said on its website.
A Falcon 9 rocket carrying the Dragon spacecraft is scheduled to lift off Friday from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.
"The Dragon spacecraft will ferry 575 kg of supplies for the space station crew and for experiments being conducted aboard the orbiting laboratory," NASA said.
The space freighter will dock with the Earth-facing port of the station`s Harmony module where it will remain for a few weeks while astronauts unload cargo and load the craft with 2,600 pounds of Earth-bound experiment samples and equipment.
It is the second of at least 12 flights to the ISS that SpaceX carries out under its $1.6 billion Commercial Resupply Services contract.
Last year, the Dragon made a demonstration flight to the space station in May and carried out the first resupply mission in October, delivering more than 1,000 lbs (some 450 kg) of cargo to the ISS.
Dragon`s third mission to the ISS is expected in the fall of 2013. The spacecraft will be launched on board a modernized version of the Falcon 9 rocket.
The Dragon is a reusable spacecraft developed by SpaceX to fly cargo to the ISS after NASA retired its space shuttle fleet last year.
The spacecraft is capable of carrying more than 7,000 pounds of cargo split between pressurized and unpressurized sections, according to NASA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling