Spotting Curiosity on Mars possible
Madrid: Determining the position of the robot Curiosity will be possible by studying the eclipses of Phobos, the larger of the two moons of Mars.
So far, locating the rover has been done using the data emitted by its antennae or by examining the images sent back to Earth by the probes orbiting the Red Planet.
A team from the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, or UCM, developed a mathematical model designed to predict and be able to observe these eclipses from the surface of the Mars, a method that can be used to determine the location of the rover.
The work was published in Monthly Notices, the newsletter of Britain`s Royal Astronomical Society.
The chance of the rover`s antennae and other systems failing is very small, but if that were to occur an alternative for locating Curiosity would be to use the eclipses that it observed, as UCM`s Gonzalo Barderas explained to EFE.
"The eclipses of Phobos offer an alternative method for determining the position from where the rover observed them," the scientist said, adding, "if it`s known when the transit begins and ends, it can be determined where the robot is."
In Curiosity`s case, with just two minutes of observations, using the data from the times of initial and final contact for the eclipses that it observed on September 13 and 17, it is possible to reduce the location error margin for the rover from kilometers to meters.
The mathematical model to predict the eclipses of Phobos was developed as part of the MetNet project, the aim of which is to deploy a network of meteorological probes over the surface of Mars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!