Spotting Curiosity on Mars possible
Madrid: Determining the position of the robot Curiosity will be possible by studying the eclipses of Phobos, the larger of the two moons of Mars.
So far, locating the rover has been done using the data emitted by its antennae or by examining the images sent back to Earth by the probes orbiting the Red Planet.
A team from the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, or UCM, developed a mathematical model designed to predict and be able to observe these eclipses from the surface of the Mars, a method that can be used to determine the location of the rover.
The work was published in Monthly Notices, the newsletter of Britain`s Royal Astronomical Society.
The chance of the rover`s antennae and other systems failing is very small, but if that were to occur an alternative for locating Curiosity would be to use the eclipses that it observed, as UCM`s Gonzalo Barderas explained to EFE.
"The eclipses of Phobos offer an alternative method for determining the position from where the rover observed them," the scientist said, adding, "if it`s known when the transit begins and ends, it can be determined where the robot is."
In Curiosity`s case, with just two minutes of observations, using the data from the times of initial and final contact for the eclipses that it observed on September 13 and 17, it is possible to reduce the location error margin for the rover from kilometers to meters.
The mathematical model to predict the eclipses of Phobos was developed as part of the MetNet project, the aim of which is to deploy a network of meteorological probes over the surface of Mars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state