Strange giant dust ring discovered near Venus` orbit
Washington: Scientists have discovered a dust ring that stretches about 220 million kilometers) from end to end near Venus orbit.
Study lead author Mark Jones, of The Open University in the United Kingdom, told SPACE.com that the ring can be "seen" 45 degrees either side of the sun.
He asserted that a similar ring had been detected near Earth`s orbit about 20 years ago.
Some of the previous space missions have seen hints of a dust ring near Venus, but proof has not been conclusive.
Jones and his team modeled the way a ring near Venus will scatter light, then searched for the feature in photos taken by NASA`s twin STEREO (Solar TErrestrial RElations Observatory) probes, Discovery News reported.
Researchers said that the images showed that a dust ring does exist but looked different than the ring near Earth`s orbit, featuring two distinct "steplike" components. One of the steps is interior to orbit of Venus, while the other lies outside Venus` path around the sun.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed