Study suggests Moon formed after Earth`s collision with planet-sized body
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Scientists have found that Moon was formed after Earth collided with a celestial object some 4.5 billion years ago.
The planet-sized body with which the earth is believed to have collided is named as Theia.
German scientists compared the ratios of 17O/16O in lunar samples, brought home by Apollo mission astronauts with those from Earth and found that significant differences in the ratios of oxygen isotopes in moon and Earth rocks.
Most models estimate that the Moon is composed of around 70 percent to 90 percent material from Theia, with the remaining 10 percent to 30 percent coming from the early Earth. However, some models argue for as little as 8 percent Theia in the Moon.
But, as per the new study, researchers now say the moon could be a 50/50 mixture of Earth and Theia remnants, though more study is needed to confirm.
The study has been published in the journal Science.
(With Agencies inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- Pakistan to keep border crossing with Afghanistan shut till apology
- Sheena Bora murder case: Court asks CBI to begin arguments on framing of charges
- 21kg tumor removed from 61-year-old man at Gurgaon hospital
- `Very difficult` for Bastian Schweinsteiger to play at Manchester United: Jose Mourinho
- Europa League draw: Manchester United set for Robin van Persie reunion