Sun emits M5.2-class solar flare
Washington: Sun emitted a M5.2-class flare that peaked at 6:07 a.m. EDT on May 8, 2014.
NASA`s Solar Dynamics Observatory, or SDO, captured images of the phenomenon.
Solar flares are powerful bursts of radiation. Harmful radiation from a flare cannot pass through Earth`s atmosphere to physically affect humans on the ground, however -- when intense enough -- they can disturb the atmosphere in the layer where GPS and communications signals travel.
M class flares are on the order of a tenth as strong as the most intense flares, the X-class flares.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday