Sun emits mid-level solar flare
Washington: The sun emitted a mid-level solar flare late Monday night, peaking at midnight.
This image, captured by NASA`s Solar Dynamics Observatory, shows the bright flare near the center of the sun.
Solar flares are powerful bursts of radiation. Harmful radiation from a flare cannot pass through Earth`s atmosphere to physically affect humans on the ground.
However, when intense enough, they can disturb the atmosphere in the layer where GPS and communications signals travel.
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala
- Several radical mosques under surveillance: German intelligence head
- NEET exemption row: Supreme Court to hear fresh plea regarding MBBS, BDS entrance test today
- Prisoners revolt in Syria's Hama jail, seize guards - Syrian Observatory
- Spain misses deadline for new government, June election set