Sun sends out another `X-class` flare
Washington: NASA`s Solar Dynamics Observatory has captured an image of the sun showing an X1.1 class flare that peaked at 11:26 p.m. EST on Nov. 7, 2013.
This is sun`s its sixth significant flare since Oct. 23, 2013, peaking at 11:26 p.m. EST on Nov. 7, 2013.
Solar flares are powerful bursts of radiation. Harmful radiation from a flare cannot pass through Earth`s atmosphere to physically affect humans on the ground, however-when intense enough-they can disturb the atmosphere in the layer where GPS and communications signals travel.
Active region 1890 is bigger than Jupiter and has produced numerous flares, including 2 X-class, since emerging over the sun`s eastern limb on Nov. 2, 2013.
This flare is classified as an X1.1 flare. X-class denotes the most intense flares, while the number provides more information about its strength. An X2 is twice as intense as an X1, an X3 is three times as intense, etc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Pakistan needs to actively pursue terrorist organisations using their soil, says US
- PSEB 10th result 2016: Tarn Taran girl Simrandeep Kaur tops Punjab School Education Board 10th result with 99.08%
- Check Biharboard.bih.nic.in & Biharboard.ac.in for BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12th XII Intermediate Arts Result 2016 to be announced today - just an hour to go
- When Rajiv Gandhi explained features of a new Indian Navy ship to his parents-in-law
- Congolese's murder: VK Singh deputed to allay African envoys' concerns