Sunita Williams returns to Earth after 4 months in ISS
Houston: After four months in orbit, NASA astronaut Sunita Williams, along with two other cosmonauts, returned to Earth on Monday.
The record-breaking Indian-American along with Russian Soyuz Commander Yuri Malenchenko and Aki Hoshide of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency landed in the steppe of Kazakhstan at 8.56 pm EST (7.29 am IST).
The trio spent four months conducting research and exploration aboard the International Space Station (ISS).
Before leaving the ISS onboard the Soyuz TMA-05M, Williams ceremonially handed over the command of the space station to fellow NASA astronaut Kevin Ford on the eve of her departure from the complex on Saturday. This exchange of command by Expedition Commander 33, Williams, will herald the beginning of Expedition 34.
"We have left the ship in good shape and am honoured to hand over to Kevin as we are going soon home and the ship is again in good hands," Williams said while handing over the command.
Their return wraps up 127 days in space since their launch from Kazakhstan on July 15 last, including 125 days spent aboard the station.
Ford and his crewmates, Flight Engineers Oleg Novitskiy and Evgeny Tarelkin, will tend to the station as a three-man crew until the arrival of three additional Flight Engineers in December.
NASA astronaut Tom Marshburn, Canadian Space Agency astronaut Chris Hadfield, and Russian Federal Space Agency cosmonaut Roman Romanenko are scheduled to launch from the Baikonur Cosmodrome on Dec 19 and dock to the station two days later for a five-month stay.
Hadfield will become the first Canadian to command the station when Ford, Novitskiy and Tarelkin depart in March, marking the start of Expedition 35.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today
- Chilli-based PAVA shells may replace pellet guns in Jammu and Kashmir