Sunita Williams set for rendezvous with ISS again
Ahmedabad: Indian-American astronaut Sunita Williams is heading to the International Space Station once again.
Sunita, who is of Gujarati origin and the holder of the record for the longest spaceflight by a woman, will take off from Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan at 8.40 am tomorrow (8.10 am IST) along with flight engineers Yuri Malenchenko of the Russian Federal Space Agency and Akihiko Hoshide of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency.
The three crew members will join the Expedition 32 crew aboard the International Space Station when their Soyuz TMA-05M spacecraft docks to the orbiting complex on Tuesday.
However, there is a lot of excitement and interest among the people in Gujarat as Sunita’s second mission to space nears.
While the world mostly focused on Sunita’s professional achievements, her personal life has been eventful too.
In her pre-flight interview to the NASA official website on June 4, 2012, Sunita talked about her hometown, Needhan, which holds a very special place in her heart.
Sunita also said that she and her siblings were better known as the ‘Indian swimmers’ rather than the ‘Pandyas’ by people of Needham.
“My brother, sister and I were swimmers. We swam at Harvard University on a club team there. So every day, twice a day, we drove into town for swimming practice in the morning and in the afternoon. We were the Indian family. All people knew us as the Indian swimmers. That’s how people knew the Pandyas as it was not a common name back then,” said Sunita in the interview.
“It was close enough to downtown Boston, which is a small enough city for me.Something like New York scares me a little bit. When I was growing up, we used to even ride our bikes into Boston for Fourth of July celebrations on the Charles River at the Hatch Shell,” Sunita said.
“I knew Boston pretty much like the back of my hand when I was growing up there. I love the town, I love the people, I love the accent; I love people who are a little bit rough around the edges. People say that we’re not always very nice up there but you just have to get to know us, and we drive like crazy so, it’s a great town, my hometown of Needham,” she said.
Sunita’s father, Dr Deepak Pandya, had migrated to US from Ahmedabad after receiving his MD degree from Gujarat University in 1957.
With DNA inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark