Sunita Williams wants to be a science school teacher
Mumbai: US astronaut Sunita Williams on Thursday said it would be a dream to go to the moon but in the long run she would like to be a science school teacher.
"We are potentially building a new spacecraft. I would love to be a part of that. Building a new vehicle is always benefited by people who have experience.
"All this is in the short term. But eventually, when I grow up, I would like to be a school teacher, a science school teacher," Williams told reporters after an interaction with school students at the Nehru Science Centre here.
"But I think talking about space with as many people as possible and relaying my experiences is my main mission for a while," she said.
Williams, 47, who holds the world record for the most spacewalk time - 50 hours 40 minutes - by a female astronaut, is in India on a week-long trip.
"For me, it would be a dream to go back to the moon. It would be awesome to go to Mars, but I have a feeling that in my life as a professional astronaut, that might not happen," she said.
On Indo-US collaboration in space, she said, "I have been at the NASA. I have seen a growing relationship between the US and India. I think that`s great. I have also seen the growing relationship between ISRO and NASA and that is also great."
Asked if it gets lonely out there in space, she said, "No, it doesn`t get lonely. There is enough connection to Earth that you don`t really feel all alone. You can make phone calls to friends and family."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi